Sick Notes

Sick Notes/Certificates for absence from work 

Under Government sick pay regulations:

  1. No certificate is required for illnesses of seven days or less.
  2. A self-certificate form, SC2 (produced by HM revenue & Customs) should be completed if the illness lasts for four to seven days (including Saturday and Sunday). These are available from your place of work.
  3. If the illness lasts more than seven days, you will need to obtain a Fit Note from your doctor.
  4. If your employer requires a doctor’s certificate for an absence of less than seven days, you will require an appointment with a doctor before a private certificate can be issued, for which there will be a charge.


Call 111 when you need medical help fast but it’s not a 999 emergencyNHS ChoicesThis site is brought to you by My Surgery Website